Coronavirus Knowledge Centre6th April 2020 - Published by Kuits COVID-19 Advice Taskforce
Kuits is continuing to monitor the evolving outbreak of COVID-19, ensuring we can speedily adapt to the changing needs of our people and our clients. The support to our clients continues unabated and Kuits remain committed over the coming weeks and months to provide the best trusted legal and commercial advice as needs and objectives develop and change. Read our updated Business Continuity statement here.
COVID-19 advice taskforce
Kuits has put together a taskforce to support clients through this crisis in the areas they are most likely to need our help. We can help with:
Your workforce: Contact Mark McKeating on 0161 838 7810 / email@example.com
- Advising on furloughing measures (including communications with staff and letters of variation to contracts) to
prevent risk of discrimination claims
- Advice on lay-offs and redundancies.
Your properties: Contact David Moroney on 0161 838 7866 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advising landlords and tenants on strategies for renegotiating lease terms in light of the government’s temporary
measures on protection against forfeiture.
- Advising on construction contracts in this ever-changing landscape, plus material supply issues.
Your contracts and supply chain: Contact James Wall on 0161 838 7996 / email@example.com
- Advising on contractual clauses, in particular application of force majeure and other clauses to the current
Your funding arrangements: Contact George MacMillan on 0161 838 7998 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Providing independent legal advice (ILA) and guidance to directors of businesses on applications for the
Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (“CBILS”).
Advice for directors: Contact Richard Palmer on 0161 503 2996 / email@example.com
- Advice to boards on directors’ duties and how they protect themselves around decision making in navigating the crisis
- Advice to companies if suppliers, customers, landlords or tenants enter an insolvency process
- If necessary, advising on insolvency proceedings.
Claims and disputes: Contact Andrew Weinberg on 0161 838 7811 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advising on debt recovery and all other disputes, including those between shareholders.
- Advising in negotiations and disputes with insurers in relation to unpaid claims relating to COVID-19.
Your personal affairs: Contact Paul Bricknell on 0161 838 7860 / email@example.com
- Advice on putting in place Wills and Powers of Attorney for peace of mind
- Advising on child contact matters during isolation
- Maintenance and Child Support issues, advising payers and recipients in the light of income changes
- Advice on achieving a seamless conveyancing process during these difficult times.
Our taskforce is available to advise you on your concerns and challenges as the situation progresses.
Call us on 0161 832 3434 or contact us for further information and assistance.
All information contained in the below insights was correct as of the day of publication.
Your contracts and supply chain
Commercial and intellectual property partner James Wall looks at whether COVID-19 is a force majeure event and the practical steps corporates should take going forward:
Our employment team discuss the newly introduced Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to support businesses and prevent job losses.
Your properties and developments
Construction partner Charlie Tomlinson gives practical advice to developers and contractors amid the coronavirus outbreak:
Our landlord and tenant advisory team has provided advice for landlord and tenants in regards to commercial rent payments:
Our planning team look at new methods introduced to help keep planning for your new developments moving:
Advice for directors
Head of restructuring and insolvency Richard Palmer talks through the support available for businesses and gives advice on directors duties:
Head of restructuring and insolvency Richard Palmer discusses what the suspension of trading provisions means for directors:
Your personal affairs
Understandably, many clients have been getting in contact with us with concerns around estate planning. Our private client team has put together a summary of your options to provide peace of mind in the current environment:
Family lawyer Colin Davies offers his advice on the recent announcement from Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove permitting children to move between separated houses during the COVID19 lockdown:
Residential property partner Duncan McGregor looks at issues arising for clients buying or selling the properties into or out of which they plan to move:
Associate Kathryn Parrish discusses the obligations around private schools and education fees during COVID-19:
Advice for leisure & hospitality businesses
Head of licensing Felicity Tulloch answers some of the questions our clients have been asking us:
Planning solicitors Victoria Leam and Bob Sadler provide insight into how the new planning measures announced can ease the burden and economic impact of COVID-19 upon restaurants and bars:
Associate Rebecca Ingram provides the key knock on effects the current circumstances could have on leisure operators premises licence(s).
Our licensing team has discussed what leisure operators will need to consider from a licensing perspective on the continued offering of takeaway and delivery services.
Government support available
Our team has collated some of the support available to businesses and individuals as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
The outbreak of COVID19 has affected both local and global financial markets. Here, we look at what this means for valuations:
Join our mailing list for alerts and updates
Over the coming days and weeks, Kuits will also be publishing practical information and insights on how to minimise the impact of the current environment on your business operations. To ensure these reach you, please sign up to receive alerts here. Please ensure you tick “News and Insights” on the form. Selecting your business sector will help us tailor relevant information to you.