Vanessa is an Associate and a member of our Litigation team.
Areas of Expertise
Vanessa specialises in all aspects of restructuring, business recovery, corporate and personal insolvency both contentious and non-contentious. Vanessa acts for a wide client base including lenders (mainstream, second-tier and alternative finance), insolvency practitioners (whether as Liquidator, Administrator, Supervisor, or Trustee in Bankruptcy), receivers (fixed charge and LPA), directors, creditors and private individuals. She has a wealth of experience in antecedent recoveries and is known for her practical approach and innovative solutions. Whilst sitting within our Litigation team, Vanessa works closely with our Recoveries and Enforcement and Banking teams.
Recent or notable cases on which Vanessa has advised include:-
- Instructed on behalf of a Lender to secure the appointment of an Administrator of a defaulting borrow in a hostile appointment. Following the appointment, instructed on behalf of the Administrator to investigate suspected antecedent transactions and misappropriation of assets.
- Instructed on behalf of the Liquidator of a high profile Mayfair Nightclub to trace funds through four connected companies (all of which were in some form of insolvency procedure), with a view to formulating a claim against the director for misfeasance.
- Instructed on behalf of a director to defend a winding up petition presented by HMRC based on a tax assessment founded on an allegation of MTIC fraud committed in another member state and to defend a claim for breach of duty against the director founded upon the same allegations. The case involved a provisional liquidation and a number of freezing injunctions.
- Instructed on behalf of a director to defend a wrongful trading claim founded on a complete restatement of the Company’s accounts going back 10 years prior to the commencement of the liquidation.
- Instructed on behalf of a director facing disqualification proceedings. Settlement was reached for a substantially shorter period than initially sought by DBIS and a Court order was obtained providing the director with permission to act as a director of another company despite his disqualification, allowing him to continue trade and earn a living.
- Instructed on behalf of the spouse of a bankrupt who, along with her young family, was looking at the prospect of losing her family home as a result of action brought by the Trustee in Bankruptcy. An innovative solution was formulated resulting in the spouse and her children being able to remain in their home.
Qualified as a Solicitor 2012
Passed Joint Insolvency Examination Board exams 2013
John Moores University
The University of Law, Chester
Away from the office
Spending time with family