We understand that when someone close to you dies it is a deeply emotional and stressful time. Whether you are an Executor or a family member, we can provide full support in considering what steps should be taken next.
We will guide you through the process of explaining how assets will pass, either under the Will or in accordance with the intestacy rules (if they had died without a Will), and we aim to make what is often a complex process as straightforward as possible.
Our team are happy to undertake home visits to take the pressure off you.
We use our many years of experience to remove as much of the burden from you as possible. This may include:
- Handling the payment of inheritance tax
- Dealing with queries HMRC may raise
- Speaking to any relevant financial institutions
- Obtaining details and valuations of the assets and liabilities of the estate
- Determining the size of the estate for Probate and Inheritance Tax purposes
- Obtaining a Grant of Probate/Grant of Representation to access assets
- Distributing the assets to the beneficiaries
We specialise in dealing with large, complex estates and probate cases involving:
- Business assets
- Agricultural property
- Large-scale investments
- Foreign assets
- Disputed estates
- Advising on any exemptions and reliefs that may apply and how to mitigate any income or capital gains tax liabilities that may arise
We also specialise in post-death planning for you, your family and your family business, which may include claiming any transferable inheritance tax allowances and the use of Deeds of Variation.